Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Business Changes are "OFFICIAL"

I'm not sure if "officially" is the word, but for some reason I feel like using it because a big weight has been lifted off of me. I have OFFICIALLY closed my handmade business FOR A WHILE. For a little over a year I have made quite a few blankets, nursery sets, onesies, and other miscellaneous items and although I have gained a lot of experience designing and working with various customers, it has been a very time consuming "project". Here's the thing... I LOVE designing, but I HATE sewing. I can't afford to hire people to produce my designs so I am the one making the items which takes me away from what I am really good at - designing. It was just too much to juggle.

For the past few months I have been designing for my "print-on-demand" invitation, announcement, greeting card and gift business on Zazzle.com. This allows me to focus on designing exclusively without being hassled with producing my items. Zazzle produces all the items that I sell, handles the business end of things such as payments from customers, having a functional store and much more! I love Zazzle. For me they are a godsend. It is exactly what I needed to run a successful business right out of my home so I can stay home with my boys while making money.

I have BIG plans in the next year while utilizing Zazzle. I have two successful stores up right now and I am working three more as we speak. Stay tuned for more on that.

Back to handmade items. I know there will be a small following of people that will miss my creations however I am not eliminating that business 100%. I am going to still make handmade items, but my items will be ONE-OF-A-KIND designs. I will create items pretty much when I feel inspired and have the time. Unfortunately, I will not be accepting anymore custom orders or duplicate requests. Some folks may get lucky as I may create an item again but may have a slight modification. I am hoping this will ease my stress of deadlines and mistakes (which often happen when I'm rushing). I do my best work when I am relaxed and actually enjoying creating something rather than HAVING TO DO IT.

I am quite excited as the new year approaches and once the holidays are over - it's full speed ahead with designing. Hmmm... Valentines is next. Look for some new designs on www.zazzle.com/keanusmom AND www.zazzle.com/hapagirldesigns.

No comments: